Chewy Granola Bars

I love granola bars but I really love CHEWY granola bars. I make these up and then wrap them in tin foil and then store them in the freezer or fridge.

Chewy Granola Bars

1 cup melted butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups oatmeal (doesn't matter if it's quick oats or old fashioned)
1 cup rice krispie cereal
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)

additions: 1/2 cup nuts (sunflower, pecans, walnuts, almonds) 1 cup chocolate chips 1 cup cinnamon chips 1 cup raisins (or other dried fruit, cherries, dates, prunes)

In large mixing bowl, combine melted butter, brown sugar, honey and vanilla extract. In separate bowl, combine oatmeal, rice krispie cereal, flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt; mix well. Add any additions (from above) and mix well. Pour honey mixture over oatmeal mixture and stir well. It will be very sticky. Spread mixture into a 13x9 baking dish. Bake at 325 degrees F for 30 minutes. It will seem like it's not done, the middle will sort of jiggle. Remove and cool on the counter. Once it's cool enough to handle, cut them into bars, wrap them in tin foil and store in freezer or fridge.

Enjoy!

6 comments:

Brandi said...

I just found your site and this recipe sounds delicious! I have been looking for a great, easy and frugal granola recipe so I can't wait to try them! Thanks :)

Dana @ The Coupon Challenge said...

Hi,

I found your recipe and have made it twice already. My family loves it! I was wondering what type of honey you use. I had regular honey from the grocery store, but have run out. I'm planning to order more from amazon but can't decide if I should try raw honey. I'm not sure if it would work well.

Thanks for your help!

Candi said...

I've been using the honey at Walgreens. They have it on sale for $3.99 this week. I think local honey is better for you because of the antibodies our body can receive from it. I'm not sure if I'd spend the money through Amazon unless you're getting free using your swagbucks. Raw honey is excellent. It tastes the best. I'd suggest trying it for yourself from a local farmers' market or flea market before purchasing it online.

Stacy said...

I made these 2 weeks ago and we all loved them, especially my 4 year old daughter. I added chocolate chips and a few mini m&m's to them. I decided to try the peanut butter ones and have them cooking in the oven right now. Thanks for such a great recipe!

Anonymous said...

Good post, I always like them

sue wilson said...

Yummy I'm eating them now as I type - will definitely be baking these again x

Related Posts with Thumbnails