Salmon Cakes

This is not your ordinary salmon patty.  This is the most delicious way to eat them, in my opinion!  I would never have thought to add bacon and potato.  You and Hunter ate them up!  I was so happy you loved them.  And they are very cost effective since you can use canned salmon, making them for less than $4.00! 


Salmon Cakes (adapted from Melissa D'Arabian)
2 sliced pre-baked bacon, chopped finely $.26
1/2 teaspoon onion powder $.10
1 egg $.14
1/2 cup mayonnaise $.38
1 teaspoon spicy mustard or Dijon mustard $.00 FREE (couponing is good)
1/2 teaspoon sugar $.02
1/2 lemon zested $.40
14 oz canned salmon (remove skin and big bones) $2.00
1 baking potato, baked or boiled, peeled and then fluff with a fork $.18
1/4 cup bread crumbs $.01
2 Tablespoon Parmesan cheese $.30
black pepper
vegetable oil

Heat oil in cast iron skillet over medium heat.

Mix bacon, onion powder, egg, mayonnaise, mustard, sugar and lemon zest in a bowl.  Add salmon and potato, mixing gently.  Form into 8 patties.  In a shallow dish, combine bread crumbs, cheese and dash of black pepper.  Carefully place patties into bread crumb mixture and coat both sides.  Fry in oil, 3-4 minutes on each side.

Note:  The mixture is very fragile.  I found using a small ice cream scoop to measure out equal portions helped.  I scooped them and plopped them right into the bread crumb mixture.  Then sprinkle a little bread crumb mixture over the tops and then carefully press down to form a little patty.  Using a fork, lift them out of the bread crumb mixture and carefully place them into the hot oil.  Cook about 3-4 minutes on each side.  They get nice and brown. 

Also, you can bake a potato in the microwave by poking a few holes with a fork into it.  Cover with a plastic container and microwave for about 6-7 minutes.  Let it cool and then peel the skin and fluff with a fork.

These are delicious!

3 comments:

megan @ whatmegansmaking said...

I've never had salmon cakes before, but these look really good!

Jodi Whisenhunt said...

YUM!! So glad you found me! Thanks for stopping by Magical Mouse Schoolhouse. I am following back. I'll have to check out your other blogs too.

Ann said...

When I saw her make these, I knew that I must give it a try, and did, and will do again now that I have seen your post.I too, thought they were quite good. You had some good ideas on how to make them into patties, and fry them. Thanks

Related Posts with Thumbnails