Chalupas

When I was younger, Pappy and Nana would take me and Uncle DJ to a Mexican restaurant every Friday night.  We looked forward to it all week long.  At first, I'd only get the tacos, not being familiar with anything else on the menu other than nachos.  Then one night, at the urging of my cousin Brenda, I tasted guacamole.  Holy Guacamole!  I fell in love with it and that love affair continues to this day.  After that I learned about Chalupas.  Now I don't know if this is a Mexican name or not, because now I've learned these are in fact tostadas.  Chalupas at the restaurant were fried corn tortilla topped with refried beans, cheese and guacamole salad.  My cousins would order a "K", which of course included a chalupa.  I can still taste the cool tomato against the warm beans.  Wow, it was so good!

Here's how I make them today:

Chalupas
corn tostadas
refried beans
shredded cheddar (or use white Mexican cheese for more authenticity)
shredded lettuce
creamy guacamole
sliced tomatoes or Rotel

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Spread each crispy tostada with about 1-2 Tablespoons of refried beans.

Top with shredded cheese and place on a cookie sheet.  Bake for 5-10 minutes until cheese has melted.

Top with shredded lettuce, guacamole and tomatoes.

Reminds me of my childhood.  So good!

Yum!

2 comments:

Nanna said...

those sound good, thanks for sharing
Helen

Tiffanee said...

YUM!! Mexican is my favorite. I have just developed a LOVE for guacamole just this last year and now I can't get enough. I am bookmarking these to make soon. Thanks so much!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails