When Daddy and I first got married, Granny showed me how to roast a turkey in the oven. This makes the turkey flavorful and juicy, every single time.
Granny's Oven Roasted Turkey
1 turkey, thawed if frozen
2 sticks butter
salt
pepper
vegetable oil
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Check the inside of your turkey and remove the giblet and neck packets. Rinse the turkey and dry him with paper towels. (I'm referring to the turkey as a "him" because they are usually Tom turkeys, but my Granny always said to buy a hen turkey if you can find one.) Place him into a large enough baking dish. Loosen the skin on each side of the breasts and shove a whole stick of butter under the skin on each breast. Rub vegetable oil all over the skin (including the legs and wings). Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake the turkey at 425 degrees F for 15 minutes. Lower the temperature to 325 degrees F, cover with a tent of tin foil and bake for 3-4 hours (depending on the weight of the bird). Check the temperature on the thigh to read 180 degrees F without touching the bone.
He comes out perfect every time!
YUM!

1 comments:
I made this turkey tonight for dinner and it really was great! :) I usually add all the usual poultry seasonings, orange olive oil, butter, salt and pepper. So this recipe was a nice change and tasted great! I made a homemade gravy with the pan drippings, soo yummy. My hubby and little one loved it as well. Thank you!
Post a Comment