When I'm planning our OAMC (once-a-month-cooking), I always try to think of easy breakfast ideas for you and Hunter.  I always have frozen bananas on hand and like to find new ways to use them.  Last year I came upon a great recipe for make-ahead french toast sticks.  They are so good and y'all love them!  I made them initally with the pumpkin but y'all love the banana better.  Here's how I make them:


Cinnamon Banana French Toast Sticks (adapted from OAMM)
15 slices whole wheat bread, cut in half (about a whole loaf)
1/4 cup melted butter
8 eggs
1/3 cup sugar
1-1/3 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup mashed banana (about 1 banana)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray; set aside.  In a large bowl, whisk butter, eggs, sugar, milk, vanilla, cinnamon and mashed banana until well combined.  Hand-dip the bread into the batter and coat well.  Place on prepared baking sheet.  Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes.  Remove from oven and flip to bake other side. (I find they stick a little, but it's worth it.)  Bake other side for 10 minutes.  Remove to cooling rack.  Cool completely before freezing.  Flash-freeze on cookie sheet until frozen about 1 hour.  Once frozen, remove from cookie sheet to freezer storage bag. 

To serve, microwave for 30-45 seconds.  Y'all eat these straight up without any syrup or powdered sugar.  But I'm sure that will change one day!

YUM!

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails