Nana has suffered with psoriasis since she was a little girl. She has learned to deal with it over the years, but recently it has become more troublesome. I told her about our friend Amanda and how she has suffered with it and linked it to a gluten allergy. So Nana went gluten free for 3 days and then tried to eat a bagel and almost scratched her head off. So she is now eating a diet free of gluten. Oatmeal doesn't seem to bother her, so I made these muffins for her. They were super yummy!

3 cups oat flour (I just use quick cooking oatmeal and give it a whirl in my magic bullet)
2-1/2 cups cornstarch (or if you have gluten free all purpose baking mix, you can use that too)
1/2 cup cocoa powder
3 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups buttermilk (or soured milk - 2-1/2 cup milk with 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar)
1 cup honey
1-1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
3 eggs
*optional, 1 cup dark chocolate chips (I used Hershey's Special Dark)
Sift together oat flour, cornstarch, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add buttermilk, honey, applesauce and eggs. Stir until combined. Add chocolate chips to batter and stir. They do not sink while baking. I'm guessing it's the thickness of the oat flour.
Divide among muffin pan and bake at 375 for 13-17 minutes. Baking times vary due to ovens, so just keep an eye on them. Use a toothpick to see if they are done.
This is a huge batch and it made 43 muffins. I freeze some and give some to Nana. It's a great treat and delicious breakfast muffin. I smear a bit of peanut butter on top, but Nutella or almond butter would be delicious too!
0 comments:
Post a Comment