Macarons - Italian Meringue Method

I have tried making French macarons so many times using so many different recipes that I eventually gave up.  Then one day I was chatting with a baking buddy on periscope and she suggested trying the Italian method.  I was surprised to hear there was a different method...I didn't even know there was anything other than the French.  So after googling and searching youtube I found a great tutorial by Janelle Estep.  I tried it and it worked!!!  I was so happy!  Nana was making fun of me since she happened to be at our house that day.  I was literally doing a happy dance in the kitchen!  I bought a digital scale and thermometer because this made it so much easier to make them.


So far we've made Pumpkin Pie Spice, Chocolate Ganache, Blackberry, Raspberry Chocolate, Chocolate Pecan Praline and Strawberry Chocolate. 

Here's the recipe:

Italian Macarons
150 grams almond flour
145 grams powdered sugar
105 grams egg whites - divided (about 3 eggs)
120 grams granulated sugar
40 grams water

In a fast food processor or magic bullet, blend almond flour and powdered sugar until powdery (about 15 seconds) then sift to remove any large nut bits.  Pour into a bowl.  Add 50 grams of the egg whites and make a paste. ** ADD COLOR IF DESIRED.  You will need to add more than you think because the egg whites will lighten it.  Set aside.  This is called "the mass".

Next in a sauce pan, heat water and sugar to 230 degrees F.  DO NOT STIR.  This will create sugar crystals and ruin your syrup.  It will go fast.  Simultaneously put the remaining 55 grams of egg whites into the Kitchenaid mixer with whip attachment and whip to soft peaks.  Add 1 tablespoon sugar and continue to whip.  The sugar syrup should be ready at this time.  Slowly pour the syrup down the side of the bowl into the egg whites.  Turn up the mixer to whip to stiff peaks.  

Meanwhile, line 2 baking pans with parchment paper. Set aside.

Add 1/3 of the beaten egg whites to the "mass" and don't worry about the egg whites getting too broken down.  Just try to loosen up the "mass".  Now add another 1/3 egg whites and carefully fold them into the batter.  Add the remaining 1/3 egg whites and fold until no more whites are streaking through the batter.  It's very important to NOT overmix at this stage.  It will create hollow shells.  

Use a pastry bag fitted with a round tip.  Be sure to twist the end of the bag where the tip is to keep the batter from leaking out while filling it up.  Place bag into a tall glass to help you.  Then spoon half the batter into the bag.   Pipe round mounds onto the parchment lined baking pans.  Try to get 24 onto the pan.  This will yield 12 cookies.  

Refill the remaining batter into the bag and continue piping round mounds.  Gently tap the pans on the counter to release some of the air bubbles in the cookies.  Let these rest on the counter for 45-60 minutes.  DO NOT BE IMPATIENT!!!  They will not form the proper feet if they are not hardened on top.  Bake at 300 degrees F for 17 minutes.   Remove from oven and cool.  Once cool, match up the shells and then fill them with whatever you like...if you choose to fill with preserves or curd, be sure to pipe a ring of buttercream or ganache to keep it from leaking out.  Twist the lid onto the bottom and chill.   These can be frozen in plastic containers for 3 months.  

YUMMO!!!

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails